The Magic Flute
Zauberflötenhäuschen (The Magic Flute Summer-House)
The Magic Flute Summer-House is situated in the garden (Bastionsgarten) of the International Mozarteum Foundation, Schwarzstrasse 26. This is a small wooden structure, in which Mozart allegedly composed some sections of his opera “Die Zauberflöte” (The Magic Flute).
The Magic Flute Summer-House was originally located in the garden next to the “Freihaustheater”, the ”Theater auf der Wieden”, in Vienna, where on 30 September 1791 “Die Zauberflöte” (The Magic Flute) was given its first performance. Mozart was allegedly locked in the house by Emanuel Schikaneder to ensure that he would finish the composition on time. Mozart also met singers there and rehearsed some parts of “The Magic Flute”. When the theatre was sold in 1873, the previous owner Prince Starhemberg donated it to the International Mozarteum Foundation. In 1874 the Magic Flute Summer-House was erected in the “Zwerglgarten” (Dwarf Garden), close to the Mirabell Palace; from 1877 to 1950 it was located on the Kapuzinerberg. The wooden structure had to be restored several times, especially after the Second World War, having suffered a considerable amount of damage during the bombing of Salzburg. In 1950 the Magic Flute Summer-House found its ultimate location in the International Mozarteum Foundation’s “Bastionsgarten”, where it can be visited during the summer months of July and August as part of a guided tour through the Mozarteum. Facsimiles of theatre bills of the premiere, as well as costume designs for a production of “The Magic Flute” from the year 1793 are on display.